Let’s face it, a large section of the rental market is no longer baby boomers, but the millennial generation. That being said, it’s important to your property management’s marketing strategy to implement tactics that focus on attracting this younger generation. Here are a few strategies that can step your marketing game up, you can even use the PokémonGo craze to your advantage!
1) Mobile is key. Millennials are always on their phones, making online rent pay and mobile text communication for both rental updates and marketing content a great way to connect with the younger generation. But remember, millennials will only respond to valuable text communication, so make sure your content is relevant!
2) Social Media is the way to their hearts. Have you heard of Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook? if you haven’t, you can bet that the millennial generation has. The more active you are on social media, the more likely the millennials are going to find you during their rental search.
3) Go green. Implementing recycling efforts and equipping your properties with energy-efficient appliances will really appeal to the millennial applicants. They’re thinking about their carbon footprint, and you should too!
4) Entertainment is the key to engagement with this young group of renters. You can implement a few strategies to make your properties more accessible in this way. Throwing a mixer to engage with your tenants is a great way to foster a sense of community. You can even purchase PokémonGo “lures” to make your property a Pokémon haven for millennials to come and “catch ‘em all.”
5) Safety first. In a world where millennials get on their phones and see tragedy after tragedy on the news, they want reassurance that the place they call home is safe and secure. Ensuring that your properties’ common areas are well-lit and equipped with security cameras are great ways to show prospective tenants that you care about their safety.
It’s time to take the millennial generation seriously, after all, they make up almost 50% of the work force right now, and you can offer them a place to call home. Try implementing these strategies and let us know how they work for you!